Humanity

by Nicholas 

Disclaimer: this post discusses topics that may be triggering or overwhelming for some.


This is an extension of my post on human nature. I stopped by a street vendor earlier today to grab a cold Snapple Lemon Iced Tea. The guy asked me "how much money?" and I replied, "how much money do you charge?" He said $4, which I countered with $2. I was NOT paying $4 for something that he likely got for less than 50 cents (a carton of 20 for $10 perhaps?). Anyways, I keep saying $2, and even $2.50 (to which he says Apply Pay does not take 50 cents) -- which I have never done before, I hardly ever negotiate anything -- and he eventually goes to $3. I was still not paying $3, so I offered $2 again, which he declined. I said "forget it" and the guy got pissed, grabbing the cold bottle back from me with disgust. He then proceeded to say "screw you" and "go away", which was plain lovely. I ended up getting the same drink for $3 from another street vendor (not negotiated this time, I was too much in shock and my negotiation abilities had deteriorated after the previous encounter). This guy was a little aggressive too but didn't yell at me. I'm definitely more of a chill person so this is unusual for me, especially since I always try to be nice to people, but I do understand that these guys are in the business of making money. 

Anyways, the point of that story was more about how triggered people are these days. Everyone seems so on edge. Maybe it's pandemic fatigue? A warming climate? (hotter temperatures have been associated with making people more aggressive and violent). A struggling economy? Inflation? All of the above? I've just been seeing quite a bit of bad stuff going on the news lately, like people just calmly walking out from 7/11's without paying, and more violent things like people shooting other people for no good reason. Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a good example of excessive aggression and violence and a total disregard for human life (Putin = garbage). I feel like the worst in humans has come out in the past few months, and I'm really not liking it. The dark side of human nature is truly sadistic and evil. 

I wish people would just be nice to each other and support each other. We all have our own struggles and it doesn't hurt to be mean or aggressive. Kindness is the best policy. Imagine a world with no violence, no aggression, no mean people. A peaceful, kind and happy world. Perhaps that would be a bit boring, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than the utter craziness that is going on the world right now. 

I am praying for humanity -- please, let's be smart for the sake of our species. We have the capability to destroy ourselves in an instant (I'm looking at you, nukes), and it's not looking good unless we get our act together. I'm highly discouraged right now, but I have faith in humanity. May good overcome bad! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ChatGPT Autobiography

Immortality